March 8, 2008

Spring Break Is Here

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Well it is Saturday night and Aimee is in Utah so naturally I am bored out of my mind. To make being stuck home alone even worse the power went out for about 3 hours. But I am not complaining because my spring break has arrived. For one week there is no more papers to frantically work on, cases to read for class, lectures to attend, or any other boring and distasteful practice. This week several important things have happened. Sadly, Aimee has left Virginia to visit Utah for a weekend but happily Chrissy got married! (And I already have a confirmation that she did in fact go through with it and is officially married).

This brings up thoughts our marriage and since I don't have any pictures of Chrissy's wedding yet I will post one of my favorites from our wedding to symbolize the happy event that a wedding is. As you can see some people are a little out of control at weddings. ;)

In this picture everyone was told to hold still and smile nicely for the picture.
The bride and groom are supposed to kiss at their wedding.

In other exciting news for the week I got a job. Technically it is an internship but it is paid so I am calling it a job. This law degree is starting to pay back already. I will be doing legal research into animal cruelty laws - but don't worry it is not for PETA.

This last week we also made a hefty investment into some camping equipment so that we can go camping at the beach in North Carolina next weekend (you can't have spring break without a trip somewhere). We spent a fair amount of time researching tents since they are the most expensive item and so we looked them up online, on ebay, and at REI, Target, and Wal-mart. Firstly the shipping on any tent purchased online made them a bad optiong. Secondly, while REI tents were really nice they were way out of our budget so that left us looking at Target and Wal-mart.

We went to Target first because there is a Target about 5 minutes from our apartment. At target we found a tent we really liked, it was made by Coleman (so we figured it was probably a pretty good quality tent, it was just the right size, ( we of course need a 4 person tent so we have room for both the air mattress and our supplies - we really rough it when we go camping) and it was a good price. Since my father taught me from a young age not to buy the first thing I see that looks good - a saying that has served me well throughout life - we decided it check this tent against anything Wal-mart might have.

Wal-mart is known for their low prices so I was hoping to find the same tent for half the price. Although Wal-mart did not carry the particular tent we were looking at in Target they did have the four man tents big brother the 8 man tent. This tent was also made by Coleman and it was exactly the same price as the 4 man tent at Target. This raised an interesting dilemma - 1) we could buy the 4 man tent and probably be just fine but know that we could have gotten a much larger tent for the same price or 2) we buy the 8 man tent but feel silly that we have such a huge tent for just 2 normal size human beings. The question surmised itself when I put it in terms of do we want more for our money? - The obvious answer to this question is almost always yes so we decided to buy the 8 man tent from Wal-mart.

When we brought it home we of course had to set it up just to make sure we could and to make sure all the pieces were included.

Now just to give you some idea of the size of this thing - it is an 8 man tent, the actual dimensions are 10' by 17', and it has 3 rooms in it. We set it up in our living room and it barely fit.

But now we are ready for our camping trip to the beach rain or shine! I apologize for length of this post but if you have read this far you are probably just as bored as I am.

3 comments:

Candalyn said...

Drew, you're the only person I know who would have thought of using your living room for the pre-camping tent set-up test run. Those pictures just made my day! I'm cracking up in the middle of the computer lab. I love reading about your lives on the East Coast, so please don't stop. And Aimee, I want to hear about the wedding!

Chantelle and Fam said...

Ow! Ow! I like your wedding pictures! Nice tent by the way, it's very..... stylish to set it up in your living room. Hope you have fun camping! Oh, and by the way, I've seen much longer posts. Chantelle

Jed said...

Like the blog. I tried leaving a comment earlier, but maybe you deleted it because I referred to you as working for PETA. That was a joke! :) I know that you would not be cahoots with PETA. I hope that you had a good spring break. How did Bowen and Chrissy meet? I went to highschool with Bowen.