June 3, 2012

Birthdays and Cathedral

Last week was my birthday.  I turned 27.  I suppose it is on the upswing to 30, but I really don’t feel old at all.  Aimee did a nice party for my birthday.  We grilled some steaks with friends, saw the Avengers movie, tried out our pool and had a delicious fruit tart cake.  For the last few months we have been pretty boring because Aimee was finishing her last graduate school classes, which were pretty demanding.  She only has one project left that she will do next fall.

This weekend we decided to break out of the boring rut and do something fun.  We decided to go to the National Arboretum to take some pictures and enjoy the outdoors.  Unfortunately, DC has terrible traffic.  We got on the freeway and immediately came to a screeching halt.  Aimee checked on her phone and noticed the traffic was backed up for miles.  As we finally came up to the bridge crossing the river into DC I decided to take the first exit I could find regardless of where it went.  The exit took us north into DC (not the direction we had intended to go) and in the distance I saw the National Cathedral and decided that we would go there instead.  It turned out to be a good decision and we had a fun time.  We even attended a 4:00 service which was very different from normal LDS services. There was a lot more audience participation that involved reading sections and psalms out of a prayer book.  It was very interesting to compare it to our religion.  I accidently pledged my allegiance to the church – Aimee was careful not to read that line and gave me a look afterwards.

It was a beautiful day so we took some pictures.  Here are a few that I thought turned out well. 
IMGP9445

Aimee on the lawn with the Cathedral in the background.

IMGP9470

Amazing stained glass windows.  There were so many good ones.  We were particularly impressed by this one that looks like it represents the cosmos.

 IMGP9495

There was a peaceful garden called the Bishop’s Garden that we could have stayed in all day.

IMGP9499

The Cathedral itself is still being fixed after the 5.8 magnitude earthquake last year.  It had netting on the inside incase any pieces of stone fell.

IMGP9516

The architecture and detail are so intricate.  It is humbling to think of how much time and care went into the building.

IMGP9547 

A nice reflection.

IMGP9554

I even let Aimee get a picture of me.

3 comments:

Whittney Clark said...

Happy Birthday Drew! 27 isn't that old at all :) We know you are still young. You took some great pictures. The national cathedral was one of our favorite parts of DC. That stained glass window you took a picture of actually has a piece of moon rock in it. Such an amazing place !

Elisabeth said...

So you've found a new religion now, huh? :) That sounds like a great birthday. Tons of fun!

Elisabeth said...

So you've found a new religion, huh? :) That sounds like a great birthday adventure even though it wasn't what you were planning. Tons of fun!