January 30, 2010

Recently...

Drew ventured to NYC to go to a conference for his work. I should have gone. I don't think he'll ever go back again, so if I want to go I'll have to go alone. He said there were just too many people. One of the many people that he saw decided to relieve himself in the gutter. Also there was zero vegetation, except in Central park, just really tall buildings as far as the eye could see. Which, after all, isn't really that far when you are surrounded by tall buildings.

I am still (mostly) enjoying my year at school. The majority of my students are well behaved, but somehow it is difficult to think about them sometimes. Mostly I think about the ones that tell me I am racist, or that my class is boring, or that I look like I am pregnant, etc. Truthfully when I think about it really hard, there is only one of my students that says those things to me very often. (Which is a vast improvement over my first year of teaching - it's funny how if you are the person assigning homework and teaching difficult new concepts for the entire year your students like you so much better than if you are that person for only part of the year.) Sadly, I will be teaching her for 2 periods for the entire school year. Must learn to let it go. Most of my students are having lots of success and are generally pleasant people, if a little chattier than is strictly necessary.

Here are some recent pictures:
We went to my sisters house in Kentucky for Thanksgiving. They took us to really cool aquarium there. We visited our families in Utah for Christmas, and for AJ and Kaylie's beautiful wedding. And Drew went to New York.

2 comments:

Ali Andrus said...

Yay! I was wondering when you guys were going to update us on everything that's been happening...
Question- does AJ's new wife work at USU credit union in Logan? I think she helped me the other day when I went in to close my account. She was so sweet and cute, and told me she was getting married, so it very well could be her. Congrats to the newlyweds!
Looks like you guys are doing great, glad to see :)

Sarah said...

Glad to see an update! Kids say the darndest things, I guess. I wish you could just have a class full of angels, but I guess the reality of it... doesn't make that possible. NYC is huge, but it is worth visiting!! Don't let Drew let you go alone!